Just in case you missed my Video Podcast, I wanted to talk a little about Business Style and how it doesn’t have to be boring.
I think this was one of the most important realizations I had when I was working in Corporate America. YES – there are rules, but NO – it doesn’t mean you can’t adapt them and still be business appropriate.
I am a firm believer in that fact that you can look amazing even if you are not in a business suit or the traditional styles of old business. I’m not condoning breaking the dress code at the company you work at, but I have found that dressing appropriately for business doesn’t mean that you can’t still march to the beat of your own drum.
As women we have so much more opportunity to create our own look than men do, so why not take advantage of all the amazing offerings the world of fashion has for us?
Here are a few of my own suggestions and things I did that helped me feel great about my business style:
- Incorporate bright colors – yes, you can add a bright colored blouse but what about really stepping it up and adding a pair of bright colored pants or a skirt. Red is always my favorite go-to, but there are so many others like green, purple, orange and yellow – or pretty much any color that is bold and stands out! Bold patterns are always find to wear too – like these cute joggers that look professional yet funky!
- Add a little lace – it is so feminine and looks so professional as well. By adding something lace to your look, you will immediately elevate the look from ordinary to fabulous.
- You don’t have to stick to traditional fabrics – try adding some leather or velvet. Gone are the days when wearing something less traditional is a bad thing. Leather was once thought to be edgy but now it really can be made to look feminine and classy by wearing a pretty blouse, and some stand out shoes!
- Don’t forget the details – accessories can be the thing that elevate an otherwise ordinary outfit. By adding some cute jewelry, a scarf or carrying a bag that is fun – you will immediately draw peoples eyes to those pieces. Which means, if your business style is understated, you can make it more sassy and fun by adding some gorgeous accessories. Beware though – in this situation, less is more. Don’t over-do it…keep it classy!
- You know my philosophy about shoes…well, it applies to business style as well. When you wear a pair of shoes that is colorful, bold or unique that’s what people more often than not will remember. I’ve talked about how someone’s shoes are usually the first thing I notice…well, I can tell you that I am not the only one 😉
- Business IS all about looking professional – you having a jacket handy is a good thing…but that doesn’t mean that the jacket has to be ordinary. In fact, finding jackets that are unique is always fun for me – like the blazer I’m wearing here with the leather accents. Professional – YES! Unique – YES!
A lot of dressing for business in a way that still expresses your personality is really about changing your mindset. It’s about being open to exploring differentiations and creating your own interpretations of the rules.
None of the pictures I’ve posted are inappropriate business style, but can you agree that they are my unique style? I have found that I am happiest when I am not conforming to the opinions of others, but rather adapting situations to suit my style – but doing it in a way that is still social acceptable and fun! Sounds like a win/win doesn’t it?
Are you ready to explore your business style?