“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!”
I realize that not everyone loves shoes as much as I do, but one thing I can tell you is that if you don’t pay attention to the shoes you are wearing, it can mean the difference between making a good first impression and not!
Shoes are the icing on the cake, the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle that is your outfit, and if you wear a pair that doesn’t match, is scuffed or scruffy, isn’t the right style for the outfit you are wearing, what it does is draw attention from the best parts of you to something that is wrong. It may seem shallow, but here’s the fact…people notice the shoes you are wearing and they will make assumptions about you (whether they are correct or not, and whether they should be doing it or not doesn’t matter). You have the control to make sure that their assumptions of your are the ones that YOU want them to make.
Strange to think that something as small as a pair of shoes could control someone’s opinion of you or have them form a great first impression. I have talked before that quite often I will pick out the shoes before anything else, but that isn’t always the case, and I realize that is not something that everyone may feel comfortable with, so…here are some simple rules of thumb when picking out your shoes/boots for an outfit:
- Only wear a pair of shoes or boots that you are comfortable wearing – no matter how cute a pair of shoes is, if it’s too high, too pointy or just plain uncomfortable it’s going to have the opposite effect than you were going for. You will have a harder time walking and draw attention to that rather than the shoes.
- Wear shoes that won’t get lost in the outfit – for example if you are wearing a wide pair of pants, your shoes are pretty much going to be hidden, so the need to wear something really fancy isn’t there. What you won’t want to do is have the pants trailing on the ground, so wear shoes that will show as you walk and prevent the pants from dragging.
- In business, I have always preferred wearing at least a small or kitten heel. It doesn’t mean that you can’t wear flats, but take care when you do to wear a pair that is a little more structured rather than so soft that your foot looks like it’s falling out the sides. The key here is to look more polished, because believe me, people WILL notice!
- When wearing jeans, skinny jeans work with so many different styles giving you so many more options. I like to mix things up depending on the season or the occasion, and when I am going somewhere special I sometimes add a little sass.
- Bold patterns, fabrics and colors are a great way add a little spice to a normally bland or conservative outfit. For example, these booties in this post with the skinny jeans add an extra little pop to a pair of black skinny jeans.
Shoes should definitely not be the last consideration when choosing your outfit, in fact, when you take a little care when choosing your shoes I know first hand that you will reap the rewards. Who doesn’t love a compliment or a little attention that wearing an awesome pair of shoes can bring. After all, the right pair of shoes can speak louder than words!
I don’t know about you but I am walking into this Monday in a sassy pair of shoes 🙂