Does it seem sometimes that life is too serious, and that there should be a time when we can just let it go, be ourselves and smile? I have always loved to smile, but I am not one that can fake something easily, so just know this, when I smile, it’s because I really mean it. It’s usually because I have had a funny thought, I see someone or something that I like, or just because the happy energy I feel inside is a little too much to be contained. Whatever it is that makes you smile, here are a few things to consider that may make you want to smile more…
1. Smiling is contagious – when you see someone smile it is almost impossible to stop yourself from smiling, because our body’s mirror neurons copy what they’re doing! If you want to see more smiles, you have to give more smile!
2. If you’re feeling sad, forcing yourself to smile can actually improve your mood by increasing your body’s endorphins – you’ve heard the expression “fake it until you feel it”…well, in the case of a smile, it actually works!
3. If you smile a smile that’s big enough to make your eyes squint, you boost your immune system, which in turn decreases the cortisol in your body, which can create a number of side effects you don’t want or need!
4. It can reduce your blood pressure – you know those endorphins that improve your mood, well they also reduce your blood pressure.
5. Smiling can actually make you look prettier – I don’t know about you but I’ll take as much help as I can in this department!
6. It’s actually easier to smile than frown…meaning that you’re using less muscles, reducing the likelihood of having extra wrinkles.
7. People who smile are more likely to be promoted – it demonstrates that you are happy, eager to work with and engaged, and that’s what employers love to see.
I can tell you that there have been times in my life where someone has smiled at me when I was feeling down and that smile was enough to lift me up. Even if you don’t buy into any of this, what if you could be the person that someone else might need to see smiling? What if you could be there for someone else that really needs you?
Without a doubt the happiest times in my life are those times when I wasn’t self-absorbed or just focused on myself, or when I took it a step further and actually focused on being there for someone else. So, what if all you need to do is smile at someone and that is enough to change their perception about something? That’s not counting all the benefits you’ll receive…would that be worth it to you?
We have seen so many people in the media (like Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain) who had the perception of being happy, or at least fulfilled in their lives. We would see them and think that they had the perfect life or that everything was great with them. It just shows that we don’t really know what is going on with another individual or how they are feeling. Sometimes people can be in the depths of despair without anyone having an inkling…
Things aren’t always going to be great, our lives are never going to be perfect, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make them that way. There is always someone that can be there for you – there is someone that you can be there for…
Choose to spread a little light and receive light if that’s what you need.
You can shop my looks by clicking the links below: