“Ask yourself – what’s really important and then have the courage and wisdom to build your life around the answer!”
I recently came across this concept and I absolutely fell in love with it…
It’s the concept of creating your own day. What I mean is, other than your birthday, what day do you use to celebrate YOU? I have found that my birthday, as enjoyable as it is, is never really just about me – not in a bad way, but it involves celebrations, dinners, and very often I have to work. So when I came across this concept I immediately latched onto it.
Here’s the thought…Make a day your own. Create a celebration of you and spend time doing whatever it is that sets your soul on fire. If it’s being alone, then do that, if you prefer to be with friends or family, do that. Ultimately the goal is to take a day to reflect on where you are in your life, what you’ve accomplished, how you feel about yourself, what you are grateful for and so on. My theory (I haven’t actually tried it yet) is that I will feel rejuvenated, I will find it easier to handle stresses, challenges, disappointments and it will reaffirm why I love my life. I know, no matter what, there are always things that aren’t the best that are happening in our lives, but when you start to look at how things are happening FOR you and not TO you, it can change your perspective.
I haven’t decided the date I am going to celebrate my day, but I’ll give you some ideas of what I love to do so that maybe you can come up with some of your own or use some of mine:
- I will workout in the morning, that way I know no matter what happens during the day, I feel good about me knowing I am taking care of my body.
- I will get a massage, a pedicure or a facial. Just a few things that are focused on self-care and love.
- I will have a lunch at one of my favorite lunch spots with a friend that I know will lift me up.
- I will do a little shopping – it actually relaxes me.
- I will find the best bakery in town and get myself the most decadent dessert (I have to because there’s no birthday cake 😉 ) And I won’t feel guilty because I worked out already.
- I will go for a drive up the canyon and take in all the beauty. I love to drive different ways, see different things and feel appreciation. If the weather is warm enough I will trade the drive for a bike ride. I love taking my mountain bike into the foothills and getting dusty while I am enjoying the view.
- I will go to dinner with my lovely husband, because he’s the one that can make me feel the most amazing of all.
It may seem silly, but if there is something I can do to help in the self care department or something that will help me remember that I am important and that ME taking care of ME doesn’t have to mean neglecting anyone else. in fact, it is necessary to take care of me, so that I CAN take care of others.
What do you think about this concept? Are you on board?
My birthday is February and I hate that I can’t do a lot of the things I love because the weather is usually cold, so I will probably plan MICHELLE DAY for a day in the spring or summer…stay tuned! I’ll post some pics 🙂
you can shop some coats similar to the one I’m wearing by clicking the links below…