“In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present!”
Even though next week is Halloween all the stores already have their Christmas stuff on display…
It makes me excited and sad at the same time. Excited because I love the spirit of Christmas, I love how my kids get excited and I love to pick out personal, thoughtful gifts for all my friends and family. Sad because it means the year is already over and we are already looking to the future (which can be a problem if you’re not enjoying the present – and I definitely have to focus so I don’t fall into that trap!)
Growing up we never had a live Christmas tree – they were a lot harder to get in England. In fact, for many years of my youth we actually had a silver tinsel tree that was about 6′ tall…I wonder if that’s where my love to sparkle came from? We would decorate the tree with all the brightest, boldest colors and even add some tinsel or garland in metallics as well. I have seen trees like this since I have moved over here to the U.S. and I still love them – in fact at some point I would love to have one in my home (not sure if I can get Brandon to commit to that 😉 )
We see the most amazing window displays, lights, colors and garlands everywhere we go. There is not a place where the holiday’s doesn’t seem to touch, and I love it! The holidays are a fabulous time to add a little sparkle into your life. Even if you are not the biggest fan, there are always ways to add just a little pop into an outfit by using something metallic or a little bling.
In today’s outfit the boots are definitely not subtle, but I absolutely love them (you might not, so then you should pick something that works for you). The blouse has a more subtle gold thread running through it, but still sparkles. When you add the coat (of contrasting sheepskin fabric) with the gold buttons, the patent leather satchel, the shiny pants, the gold booties and of course the metallic blouse, I think you will agree that there is no way I am not afraid to sparkle 😉
Whether you have a big personality, prefer to stay a little out of the limelight or you’re completely uncomfortable with ANYTHING that draws attention to you, there are ways to add a little sparkle. In fact, here are some suggestions just in case you need a little inspiration:
- Use your jewelry to add the sparkle. A pair of big gold hoops, a long statement necklace with jewels and bling, some stacked bracelets in contrasting metallics. There’s no shame in not wanting to be bold and “out there”…but I don’t know what it is, adding a little sparkle just makes me feel better.
- Add a metallic scarf or an embellished scarf or beanie. I have a beanie that has diamonte’s all over it and it is my absolute favorite beanie. So even when I am feeling a little more dressed down or casual and I know it’s going to cold outside, I add that hat and suddenly not only do I not need to do my hair, but voila – sass!!
- Belts with a statement buckle or a metallic belt are a great way to make any outfit pop. I have a silver belt that is mid width, and it’s perfect to pair with black jeans to make the outfit stand out a little.
- Wear a pair of shoes or boots that are not 100% metallic, but maybe have some studs or buttons on them that are metallic. That way they stand out without being more in your face. I have a few pairs of black shoes that have either silver or gold studs, some more edgy than others, but all of them add a little something extra to the outfit I am wearing.
- Wear a blouse similar to the one in my post that has a thread of metallic running through it. It’s a great way to add a touch of sass without having to overcommit to the whole “sparkle” vibe!
- Sequins- pretty much anything with sequins is going to be the perfect amount of sparkle. I have pants, a skirt but even a simple embellishment on a blouse is somewhere to start.
- Add a pop of metallic eyeshadow – a very subtle but fun way to start. I even bought some last year that have glitter in them, perfect for a special occasion rather than every day wear.
- A purse or clutch in metallic or embellished is also a fun way to add a little pop to your outfit.
In stores for the holidays you will see red metallics, green, gold, silver, rose gold, and many more…so why not take this time of year (pretty much when everyone steps out of their comfort zone a little more) to try something that you might not normally try. What’s the worst that can happen? You’ll either love it or you won’t and either way, you’ve grown by being open to being different.
Growth only takes one step…the first step and you’re already on that road!
Here are some of my top holiday “sparkle” picks for you to take a look at.