“People may hate you for being different and not living by society’s standards, but deep down they wish they had the courage to do the same!”
You may have noticed a common theme on my social media and blog, and that is I talk about not being afraid to be yourself, be unique and express YOUR style personality…
Here’s another thought – do you just have to have one personality? I don’t think so.
If you’re anything like me there are times when you want to be more edgy, there are times when you want to feel more feminine, and there are times when sophistication is the way you want to go. These are just a few of my style personalities, because I have many…the reason I tell you this is that I think it’s important to not ever limit yourself or pigeon hole yourself into one style. Today’s picture is a more feminine style, and that was what I was aiming for when I put it together. I felt good about how I looked and even curled my hair used heated curlers (yes I still have some of those even though I haven’t used them for a couple of years).
I have heard many people talk about how a certain style is “them” and that they always gravitate to certain styles, colors, patterns and cuts…and that’s absolutely OK, especially if you open your mind to other options as well.
I have talked a lot about what I was like growing up and how I always had a very strong idea about how I wanted to look, what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it, so for me having the ability to change how I look has been very important. Being independent and strong willed, I never wanted to be limited or caged like a bird, for me freedom comes from knowing I can create whatever I want – even with style.
I do realize that not everyone has such a clear idea in their mind about how they might like to express their personality through their style, and certainly there are those of you that may not even think style or fashion is important. If you are one of these people, let me pose a couple of questions to you…do you feel self conscious when you are around someone that has the appearance of being completely put together? Do you compare yourself to others and how they look? Do you feel insecure about yourself in any way?
If you answered yes to any one of these questions, then I will tell you that there is hope! Self confidence comes from being comfortable with who you are, and more often than not, when you compare yourself to others it’s because you are judging yourself. I have found that the more care I take with how I look, the more positive reactions I get from others, and more importantly the better I feel about ME. Even if you don’t care about style or following the latest trends it doesn’t mean that you unican’t still rock your own style.
Here are some tips for finding your unique style:
- Don’t be afraid to try something on because it scares you because it’s different.
- Mix and match patterns, styles and colors – you never know what works together for you until you try it.
- Ask a friend – I have a few friends that text me pictures of outfits and ask my opinion. I am always honest and you will want to find someone who will do the same for you.
- Dress for the occasion – there is nothing worse than being over or under dressed. I always err on the side of dressing up more than down, and this has always worked for me.
- Whatever outfit you put together, if you’ve followed the steps above, wear it with your head held high and walk with confidence.
- Believe in YOU. You are unique, your style will be unique – don’t be a cookie cutter. Trying to be someone else is only going to cause more self consciousness.
I hope these tips help, but if you have questions, please email me and I will get back to you!
Shop the pieces of my outfit or similar by clicking the links below…