“We won’t be distracted by comparison if we are captivated with purpose!”
Confidence is not something you suddenly just have, you don’t necessarily wake up with it…it can take consistent effort & positive thoughts.
I can recall being a young girl, and having a really distinct taste in fashion, and how my parents encouraged me to be me. As I became older people started to notice that I dressed a little differently, that I liked different things and that I kind of liked not fitting in the mold. The thing about being different is that it scares people, they see it as a threat to themselves because they are not truly confident in themselves, so because I liked to stand out, I was teased a little, criticized and sometimes laughed at. I had a choice at that point…listen to what people were saying, change who I was or be ME. I chose to be me, and a funny thing happened…I remember having a pair of Red Mary Jane shoes, and within about a month I noticed other girls wearing the exact same pair of shoes. I took that as a compliment, not because they were wearing my shoes, but because I realized that I had it right…I had the confidence thing right. I wasn’t afraid to be me and those girls learned something – they started to do that themselves.
I am not saying that I am the most stylish person in the world, I don’t always get it right, but one thing I can say is that no matter what, I wear what I want, I do what I want and I am who I am – no excuses, in fact, I LOVE WHO I AM!!!
I realize that not everyone is as stubborn in my confidence or as bold as I can be…so here are some easy steps to help you with your confidence:
- Stop comparing yourself to others – stay focused on you.
- Don’t stress things you can’t control. Talk about setting yourself up to fail, stressing about little things and things you can’t control is a sure way to bring disappointment, frustration and stress.
- Love yourself. There is no one like you – you are gift to this world. The world needs you and don’t ever forget it!
- Seek positivity – find the good in every situation. Positivity reaps positivity.
- Do what you love – and you will love what you do. Life is way too short to be stuck doing something that you don’t love.
- Trust yourself – don’t try to be something or someone that you are not. Our instincts very often tell us whether something feels right…we should trust that instinct. Being in tune with who we are in a great gauge for confidently being happy.
- Believe you are worthy – when we believe in ourselves, the world is our oyster.
- Don’t be afraid of being wrong – confidence doesn’t always mean you will be right, it means you don’t tie your self worth to it – which means you are not afraid to be wrong about something.
- Don’t allow jealousy or hatred to seep in – confidence doesn’t need to feel hatred or jealousy because it knows the world needs all kinds of people and one persons success is not dependent on another’s failure!
- Step outside of your comfort zone – self confidence grows by learning and growing. We start out when we are babies using this concept by learning to talk and walk, but for some reason we forget it as we become older and sometimes stay stuck, not growing, inside our comfort zone. There is no great self confidence booster than accomplishing something new.
I don’t know about you, but I wish that someone would have given me some steps when I was a little girl, almost a road map showing me how I could become more self confident. All of these steps are what I use…I know they are not all the things we can do to help our confidence, however, even by implementing one of these that you weren’t using before, it’s only going to help put you further down the path to self confidence.
Remember – self confidence isn’t something that is taught or learned, it is something that comes from surpassing your own self-limitations!