“Life is short, wear your party pants!”
Before I start, I wanted to let you know that it’s definitely not to late to start planning your holiday styles, party wear, and recovery wear (yes, after all the chaos we are going to need a little recovery time!)
There are a lot of things to plan, so does this seem like one more thing that you just don’t want to have to deal with? I know there have been times when I have gone in my closet and just walked right out again because I haven’t known where to start…so here are some tips, ideas and styles that are really easy to duplicate to take some of the stress out of the holidays for you:
- Make sure you plan ahead…this doesn’t necessarily mean going shopping to get new things, but what it does mean is that sometimes if you lay out a few things on your bed to see how they look together, it’s going to help you decide what combinations you like the best. I never try to plan an outfit for a special occasion when I am in a rush – even if I haven’t pulled out my clothes to look at, I have at least put them together in my mind (I know, I may or may not love thinking about clothes 😉 )
- Don’t try to wear something that is not comfortable for you to wear. For example, if you are not comfortable wearing high heels, then don’t try to do it. All that will happen is that you will feel awkward all night and want to take off your shoes. Instead, find a pair of kitten heels (still feminine) or block heels that are easier to wear for longer periods of time.
- Make sure that what you are wearing expresses YOUR personality NOT someone you know or someone else you have seen wearing something that’s “really cute”…as you know, we are all unique, so when you are trying to be someone else not only will you feel like a fraud, but when people see you they are not going to know who you are.
With all of that being said, there are a few things that you are going to want to add to your closet this holiday season. Don’t get me wrong I’m not necessarily encouraging you to go out shopping for yourself when you are still Christmas shopping (although sometimes it’s necessary to do that), but maybe you can put some things on your Christmas list or drop hints. Even after Christmas there are lots of get-togethers and parties for the New Year, so even if you don’t have them in time for a Christmas party, it won’t be a bust!
Here are my Top 10 MUST HAVES for 2017:
- Something leopard print – whatever you choose (because not everyone is comfortable with a coat, a dress or shoes), make sure you that you rock it. I have seen so many leopard tights, scarves, blouses, sweaters and purses plus many, many more things. Pick one and have fun with it.
- Something sparkly – I love all the metallics, and they can be used in many different ways. For example, I just bought some metallic liquid eyeshadow by Stila (from Sephora)…it is amazing and lasts all day. It’s a great way to add sparkle without having to go over the top. A great silver or gold top, pants, or shoes are great ways to add metallic into your wardrobe.
- Sock booties are my new favorite thing – I love how they fit to your legs and work with a skirt/dress, with jeans, or even under pants. Versatility is key here, and they come in a variety of different styles and patterns.
- A great faux fur or fluffy coat – the reason why is that even if you are wearing something plain, by adding a really funky coat, you are going to make your whole outfit stand out. Who doesn’t love the idea of being simple and still finding a way to be stylish?
- Sequins – what more needs to be said here? Sequin earrings, sequin hair accessories, sequin leggings, or even sequin boots. Find something again that expresses your personality, don’t wear the boots if you are more of an understated earrings kind of girl 😉
- A long kimono or thin cardigan -I love using these over pants, dresses or skirts. They can just pull a whole outfit together and make it really funky.
- Velvet is still so huge. It is such a comfortable and warm fabric, not to mention chic, so why not incorporate it into some of your outfits?
- Funky tights or fishnets. Wearing a pair of unique tights with a dress or skirt this winter is not only necessary (at least here in Utah), but it is also a great way to make a statement. I am always on the lookout for unique styles of tights, and love to incorporate them into my business and party style!
- A pair of chunky boots – there are definitely going to be those days that you are going to want to be able to walk and not have to worry about slipping, falling or just hating life because of your stiletto boots. At the weekends or evenings, I love to wear a pair of comfy boots, but also look stylish, so find a pair that can be both for you.
- A great beanie or winter hat – I have never been a big hat person, but I am definitely learning to love beanies especially during the winter months. I love how feminine some of the styles are now, and if you wear one with some accent jewels, patterns or even a pom pom it is going to look a little dressier!
So there you have it…my Top 10 of things everyone should have. I have always been one of those practice what you preach kind of girls, so I wouldn’t tell you to do something that I didn’t do, so just know that all of these things I have tried and tested, and they work for me!
I don’t by any means expect anyone to be something they are not, so if don’t like or want to try any of these things, then you need to follow your gut.
Happy Holidays and more importantly – Happy Shopping!
I picked a few things I think are really hot below and you can shop the links below…