“The first step to being respected is to look respectable!”
From when we are five years old right up until, at the very minimum, we are eighteen, we go to school to learn…We learn some general subjects as well as those specialized to help us determine the career path we want to take in our life, but not only that, we learn how to interact with others, we learn how to be respectful all whilst we are growing and coming into ourselves. So if we spend all this time learning and honing our interactional skills, learning capabilities and maturity, why would we not do the same when it comes to our appearance? After all…in a world where judgements are rampant and our appearance is very often how people determine whether or not they want to do business with us, we should spend as much time if not more, learning and developing our presentation (and I mean personal appearance presentation) skills!
The challenge we face is that it is not as clear cut as school studies, relationship skills or even leadership skills. So how do we grow our personal presentation capabilities? Some people have innate skills, while others have to work a little harder, but the good news is that no matter how good we are, we can all learn more.
I will let you all into some of my secrets, which are pretty simple and I am sure you could figure them out even if I didn’t tell you (but just in case)…
- Don’t try to be something you are not. I have talked about making sure you dress your age, but this goes even further than that. Only choose styles that work for you, because wearing something just because it is “in” doesn’t necessarily mean it is going to look good on you. I was just talking with some friends about how there are some styles that should NEVER come back in because they are not flattering, and I feel like mom jeans for me are one of those styles. They do work for some people, but they are definitely one of the most flattering things for my body type.
- Dress for what you are doing. Simply put – it is better to over dress for something than it is to turn up to an important meeting looking under-dressed or sloppy.
- Choose your colors wisely – again, just because a color is “in” doesn’t mean you should wear it. Some colors can drain your color, while others are just a little too bold for what you are doing and who you are seeing.
- Notice how others are dressing, see how they wear belts, accessories, or shoes. If you are wondering if a style of clothing would work for your body type, you can always google certain styles or check on Pinterest because there are always pictures of different body types. Of course, nothing beats trying something on, but if you are looking to decide if something could work before you even get to the trying on stage, this is a great starting point.
- If you are unsure about how to put a whole outfit together, it is best to not get too carried away. I do think it’s important to keep your style unique to you, but that doesn’t mean that you need to be so far out there that people remember you for the wrong reasons.
- Every store gets new styles, colors and fabrics throughout each season, so it is always good to check out the latest trends at Nordstrom, Macy’s and other department stores. If you find a brand that you like that is great, but it doesn’t mean that everything they make is going to work for you. Check out the styles, see how the mannequins are put together and use them as guidelines.
I love new seasons, and I especially love that we get all 4 seasons here in Utah because it gives me the chance to change my look every few months. It keeps me feeling fresh and of course unique.
Even if you don’t remember anything else about this post, I want you to take this away with you…continue to learn about style. Just like in anything else, it is not something where one day we can say we have learned all we can learn…things are always changing, new styles are coming out and old ones are being repurposed . That is why we need to keep it fresh. Don’t be a follower or just stuck in your ways, find new ways to present yourself in the best way possible for your personality, body type and coloring. I promise if you do this, you will feel more self-confidence and people will be attracted to that (whether it be business or personal relationships)…