“Courage is being yourself everyday in a world that tells you to be someone else!”
If you woke up one day and found out that there were no hard and fast fashion rules that you need to follow…how would that make you feel?
Well, here’s what I would like to tell you – with all the different styles of fashion around, with people taking greater care of themselves and with the different lifestyles everyone leads, there truly are no rules. We all have different interests, we all love to spend time doing different things, and finally we are all different on the inside as well as on the outside. Shouldn’t we express ourselves in a way that is true to who we are both on the inside and outside?
Now you know you are free to do whatever you want with your style, I did want to mention that although there aren’t any rules, there are definitely mistakes we can make that may cause us to not look our best, and even worse, things that can age us!
Here are some things you can do that will minimize the aging process and allow us to look amazing even into our later years in life:
- Now we’re in fall and winter is around the corner, tights can be our best friend…however, be careful the styles and colors you pick. Just wearing opaque black with every outfit or wearing nudes are definitely more likely to age you. Instead, try a pair of patterned, fishnets, different colors or finer opaques to mix things up a little and add a little sass to your look.
- Make sure that you dress appropriately for your body type. I always say that just because something comes in your size doesn’t mean that you should wear it. Wearing clothes that cling in the wrong places, clothes that make you look boxy or even worse something that is too short, is a sure fire way to ensure that you actually look older than you are.
- One of the worst things you can do is go shopping and buy an entire outfit that you see on a mannequin. I have found that it is better to be more subtle with your styling and pick a couple of things that are new and in style rather than going for everything you see. Remember, the goal is to do what is right for you not what everyone else is doing or what the stores are telling you to do.
- Never, never, never get too carried away with accessories. Just think “less is more” when accessorizing and just in case that isn’t clear, follow the direction of Coco Chanel “When accessorizing always take off the last thing you put on”.
- If you are big believer in all things that are Black, don’t despair, you can still do that, but try to add at least a little pop of color to brighten up your complexion. I always try to add a bright or bold lipstick to my Black outfits…you could also add a cute purse or bag, a contrasting pair of shoes or even a few accessories.
The ultimate goal should always be YOU…